Five New Members Join the Teacher Forum Leadership Team
The Charleston County Teacher Forum provides outstanding CCSD educators with opportunities to give back to their peers and profession. Five new members will join the Forum Leadership Team for the 2008-2009 school year, and this team will sponsor teacher recognition and leadership activities; work with district leaders to address needs and concerns; assist with teacher recruitment and retention efforts; and sponsor professional development activities.
The Charleston County Teacher Forum meets twice a year and consists of all Charleston County school-based Teachers of the Year (TOYs). The Teacher Forum is led by a ten-person Forum Leadership Team comprised of the five “Honor Roll” teachers (the top five TOYs across the district) from the current year, as well as the five "Honor Roll" teachers from the previous year. The Forum Leadership Team meets monthly.
The members of the Teacher Forum Leadership Team for the 2008-2009 school year are:
- Cassie Norvell-- Chair, CCSD TOY, 2007-2008
- Gwendolyn Benton-- Vice-Chair, CCSD TOY, 2008-2009
- Tara Mande (serving in the 2007-2008 and the 2008-2009 school years)
- Deanna Mozingo (serving in the 2007-2008 and the 2008-2009 school years)
- Katherine Pyle (serving in the 2007-2008 and the 2008-2009 school years)
- ReBecca Kutcher-- CCSD TOY Runner-Up, 2007-2008 (serving in the 2007-2008 and the 2008-2009 school years)
- Erica Roberts--CCSD TOY Runner-Up, 2008-2009 (serving in the 2008-2009 and the 2009-2010 school years)
- Edie Cusack (serving in the 2008-2009 and the 2009-2010 school years)
- David Wingard (serving in the 2008-2009 and the 2009-2010 school years)
- Elizabeth McKenzie (serving in the 2008-2009 and the 2009-2010 school years)
2008-2009 Leadership Team members have named several potential projects for the upcoming school year including creating online resources for CCSD teachers and establishing a resource list of teacher leaders in CCSD who are "experts" in various areas, including specific instruction, classroom management, organization, and parent communication.
During its summer organizational meeting, the 2007-2008 Teacher Forum Leadership Team developed a logo to promote the purpose of the Teacher Forum. The team adopted an image of the Arthur Ravenel Bridge. Not only does the image reveal the support the Forum hopes to build for teachers, but it also represents the many connections between teacher leaders, teachers, students, and the community. In addition to the brochure and logo, accomplishments of the 2007-2008 Teacher Forum Leadership Team included helping with teacher recruiting efforts, assisting in recognizing 2008-2009 TOYs (including finding donations for 80 TOYs and sending cards and gift certificates congratulating them), and exploring the idea of creating a video clip for Teacher Forum members.